Thursday, June 17, 2010

Peer Education

Okay, so I'm trying to get back into posting. I have a backlog of pictures to upload. So, hopefully in the next few days... In the meantime, last week Connor stuck up his middle finger and told me that two of his friends at school told him that doing so meant a bad word, and asked if that true. I told him yes. So, he kept sticking up his middle finger and saying, "Like this?" "How about this?" "This means a bad word?" After about 30 seconds of this (I was driving), I told him no more--that sticking up our middle finger is not nice and we shouldn't do it. Fast forward to this week. Connor comes home from school the other day and says, "I know what bad word sticking up your middle finger means. It begins with F. It is f*ck." Again, I reiterated that sticking up our middle finger or saying a bad word (any bad word) is not nice and we shouldn't do it. His response? "Why does Daddy swear sometimes?" Sigh. I explained that sometimes when we get mad or hurt ourselves we slip and say a word or two that we shouldn't, but that doesn't mean it's okay. Anyhow, I've known this day would come. I was just hoping to delay it until another grade. Oh well. Can't wait to see what he learns next year...

2 comments:

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

Welcome back! It's good to *see* you again. Can't wait for the new pictures. Good luck with that swearing thing. Thankfully, we haven't had to deal yet.

jamielblev said...

hahahahahaha!!! When Shelby figured out it was "a bad word in sign language" she cried b/c that was the finger she uses to pick her nose and itch her eyes.

I tell my kids that they aren't allowed to use those words until they are 18, it's the law. LOL