As of Tuesday, November 9, my doctors were pushing me to schedule a C-section because I was 0 cm dilated, 0% effaced, and they were fairly certain the baby was not going to come on his own. I opted to delay scheduling the C-section until what was to be my next appointment, November 16. In the meantime, Matt took Connor to Great Wolf Lodge (Williamsburg, VA) on November 14, as a "last hoorah" for a while, and they weren't supposed to come back until later in the day on the 15th. Long story short, about an hour or so after Matt and Connor got to Williamsburg, which is about 2 hours away (with good traffic), I lost my mucus plug and started having contractions. I had contractions all night, with them getting to 5 minutes apart overnight. I didn't have a vehicle (Matt had my car and had taken the set of keys for his work car with him), so my neighbor Tracy took me to my OB for a labor check on Monday morning. I was only 1 cm dilated, but had protein in my urine now (my body was slowly developing preeclampsia). So, instead of being sent home to keep laboring, I was admitted to the hospital. I had to call Matt and tell my boys to come home early. I felt so bad! (As a side note, Connor gets nauseous when he's tired and/or extremely nervous. He threw up as he and Matt were driving home, all the while asking questions about me and would they make it to the hospital before his brother was born.)
Upon admission to labor and delivery, the doctor was skeptical that I would progress for a VBAC, but he let me try. He broke my water in the late morning. My contractions slowed down (the opposite of what they should have done), but I dilated to 4 cm. (I had had an epidural in the meantime, but it had worn off and the second dose was ineffective.) Around 2:00 p.m. the doctor realized that my entire bag of water hadn't drained and punctured it in a different place. From there things went quickly. Carrick dropped and I dilated to 10 cm in just over 2 hours. After about 15 minutes of pushing, Carrick was born. So, I got my wish after all and had a successful VBAC!
Both Carrick and I were discharged the next day, the 16th, but by that night I had a pounding headache. Matt took me to my OB on Wednesday because my head hurt so bad. My blood pressure was even higher than it had been during third trimester, so they were concerned I had developed a hypertension headache and put me on meds. By Thursday morning I was so sick that I couldn't sit or stand without vomiting. Nor could I continue to effectively nurse Carrick. Matt took me back to the OB, and they had me readmitted to the hospital (the ICU). Turns out the anesthesiologist went too far when he gave me the epidural and punctured my dura (a wet tap). My spinal column had been leaking cerobrospinal fluid ever since, which resulted in me getting very sick. So, the doctors gave me a blood patch (to form a clot over the puncture) and I was discharged Friday. I didn't feel human until Sunday, but was able to nurse Carrick again starting on Saturday morning. By Monday the headache was finally gone and I was back to "normal."
At first Carrick wasn't gaining enough weight, but he's been more than making up for it in the past 2 weeks, so his pediatrician is pleased (as are we). As for me, I've had a few doctor's appointments. My blood pressure is coming down, so I've been allowed to discontinue the meds (which I forgot to take most of the time anyhow). The doctors are hoping that in the next few weeks my BP will be totally back to normal, which is about 112/74 for me, but they'd be happy with 120/80.
Connor is adjusting well, overall, to being a big brother. His not getting undivided attention is hard, but he actually told us that he was struggling, so we've been able to talk to him and reassure him (the best we can, anyhow). We've been trying to devote one-on-one attention to him as we are able, and as Carrick gets into a routine, that will become much easier. The fact that many friends have bought Connor gifts as well as Carrick, that he has school to occupy him, and that Christmas is a much anticipated distraction has helped immensely!
Anyhow, other than being somewhat sleep deprived and juggling everything at once (including the holiday season), things are going well and we're adjusting fine.
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment