Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Flu Season Hits Home

Connor's got the flu. He was a little out of his element yesterday morning, but showed no signs of being sick (fever, coughing, headache, etc.), so we sent him to school. Less than two hours later I was called. He still didn't have a fever, but was sitting at the table with his head down, not interacting, which is very unlike him, so the teacher was concerned. They asked if I wanted to pick him up or let him stay. I picked him up. As soon as he saw me he busted out in tears and wanted me to hold him. We got home and I settled him in on the couch, turned on cartoons, and cuddled. Within half an hour he was burning up, and he vomited. We are using Children's Motrin to control the fever, but he vomited overnight and is still laying around and sleeping a lot today. I called the pediatrician's office, and because of his age, they want us to bring him in tomorrow, with the whole swine flu "scare." I'm not sure what all they'll do (probably confirm that he isn't having problems breathing), but I'm guessing they'll test to see which strain he has. And of course, if it is H1N1, I'm going to have to let the school know.

1 comment:

jamielblev said...

I wonder if they'll give him tamiflu with it being within 48 hours. That stuff worked like a charm for Lonnie but he's an adult. Not sure how it is for kids.