Saturday, August 8, 2009

RANT!

I am so frustrated right now! Okay, from those who read my July 4 post, you know my camera is broken. I can still take pictures, but the lighting has to be perfect (since the flash on my camera is busted). Basically, I can only take pictures outside on a sunny day. Otherwise, they look like crap. So, last weekend I found a great deal on a new camera kit online and ordered it. Shipping would only take two days. Well, early in the week I get an e-mail that this company's Nikon shipment was damaged in transit, so they couldn't ship out my camera kit until they received the new shipment from Nikon--midweek. I was given the option of canceling my order if that wasn't okay. I explained to the customer service person that I had to have the camera by the end of this week because we are leaving for vacation on Monday. That would not be a problem--I could upgrade shipping to overnight. I gave her my credit card info so that they could charge me the extra. She said the Nikon shipment might arrive early, and if so, they wouldn't need to send it overnight, but that she would keep my CC info on file and charge it as necessary. Sounds like a plan, right?

Well, I get a shipping notice in my e-mail on Wednesday. The camera went out via ground shipment. Okay, as long as it actually went out Wednesday. I couldn't track it, though, because there is a time delay from when the shipping notice is sent to the time UPS puts it in its system for online tracking (about 24 hours). To make a long story short, since the system is updated overnight, I couldn't track the package until yesterday morning. It's ETA? Monday. @?#%! I was hot. I spent all afternoon back and forth on the phone with UPS and the camera company, and nothing can be done. I tried to have a new kit sent out overnight, and I would just refuse shipment of the first one, but the sales department wouldn't process the order until Monday anyhow. I tried to get the package held at the sorting facility (about 20 miles away from me--and we'll pass right by it on our way out of town Monday morning), but UPS implemented a new policy that a package cannot be held, etc., until after a first delivery attempt has been made. I tried to upgrade the shipping to overnight, but can't do that. I've spoken to supervisors (to see if they can bend the rules or come up with another solution), but to no avail. I've offered money and any necessary documentation for proof of identity, but no one can help me. So, my camera is 20 miles north of where I live and I can't get it! It'll be here Monday afternoon sometime. We're leaving Monday morning and really can't delay our trip. We have a 7-hour drive ahead of us that day. I'm so upset!

So, while our vacation is "just" to my parents', we'll be going to Niagara Falls and Lake Erie, and visiting with family and friends, and I can't take decent pictures. I'm so mad I could cry!

2 comments:

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

You are probably already gone, but I hope things worked out. Maybe you could borrow your parents camera. Or maybe pick up some cheap thing and then give it to Connor when you get your real one.

Shey said...

I actually found a way to get it by Tuesday. I called UPS and found out that my signature wasn't required. So, I made a prepaid overnight label to my parents house. Then, I put a note on the door for my UPS guy to deliver it to my neighbor's house. She put the new label on it and dropped it off at the UPS Store this afternoon. This all took some orchestrating, but everything seems to have gone off without a hitch. So, I'll have it by 10:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. The overnight shipping cost $55, but I was desperate!